Limerick City and Shannon
The Limerick Southern Ring Main – Internal Leak Repairs was completed in 2017.
Limerick City Council implemented a water conservation programme conforming with the Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government Circular L6/07. The main objective of this project was to integrate the Limerick City and Shannon estuary water supply by providing greater security of supply and enhanced fire flows to the Limerick Water Supply Scheme and in particular to the north side of the city.
This project involved the following:
- Pressure testing existing mains in order to identify and repair all leaks that failed the pressure test
- Further investigations were completed on areas where the number of leaks were high, this involved man entry works and air testing joint by joint
- Updating existing Southern Ring Main and specified existing distribution main connections
- Replacement of connections
- The provision of new and replacement of existing specified instrumentation and fittings to the Southern Ring main and specified existing connecting mains, including connections to power supply and monitoring/control kiosks
- The actuation of existing butterfly valves, including the provision of specified actuators and connections to power supply and monitoring/control kiosks.
- Connections to power supply
- Supply, installation and commissioning of instrumentation kiosks, where necessary, to meet minimum requirements of ESB and the Employer
- Monitoring and control of Kiosks
- Supply, installation and commissioning of Telemetry Outstations at each relevant location, together with suitable communication systems to tie into the existing system. (SCADA)
- Installation of new and repair of existing drainage network around individual work sites including the diversion of large diameter motorway storm culvert to facilitate chamber installations
- Co-ordination with the utility providers (electricity, gas, telecommunications, water, wastewater, etc.) and undertaking sufficient sub-surface investigations prior to installation commencement to confirm the extent and precise position of all utilities throughout the Site.
- Traffic Management Planning and Control, in liaison with the Roads Department of Limerick City Council, Limerick County Council, Direct Route, An Garda Siochána, and the Emergency Services
- Temporary and permanent reinstatement of the Works, including the provision of any temporary works required to provide emergency service access, and restore vehicular access to residents at each works location outside of normal working hours.
During the preliminary stages of the project, air and hydraulic pressure tests proved unsuccessful. As a result, it was necessary to carry out further CCTV leak detection works.
Limerick City Council & Irish Water
Limerick City and Shannon
Unit 1A Annacotty Business Park, Annacotty, County Limerick